Wednesday 20 July 2016

Water damage on the Nexus 5X



Hi, after some hours in heavy rain my water proof pocket was filled with 4cm of rain and my phone started swimming. Unfortunately my reflexes turned the phone on and I saw the screen flashing up normally up to some point when it went off again. Back home I opened the device and dried everything. I saw some corrosion next to one chip (I think it was the ST Microelectronics STM32F411CE 32-bit 100 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 RISC microcontroller) and the sim card holder. I cleaned that with a soft toothbrush and after one day assembled the phone and added usb power and turned it on - no charging light went on, no vibration was happening, the screen stayed black.
So I went to buy some Isopropylalcohol and covered all disassebled parts of the phone in it, cleaned it, let it dry, assembled it and tried again. Same no-response.
I repeated this procedure 3 times by now and even tried it with a new battery. Still no success.
No I wonder what my options are:
1) trying to repair the phone somehow.
2) rescuing only the data from the emmc.

1: I already explained what I was trying. I also have a multimeter and probably am going to follow the trace of electric flow tomorrow, hopefully finding that one diode that is broken now.
What else can I do. Do you have any suggestions?

2: I have seen the amazing work of changing the emmc by using a heatgut. Nice hack to remove bga circuits. I just wonder: Do the data survice such a hot process?
Right now I tend to think about unsoldering the emmc and trying to find a reader for emmcs to read out my data (Easy JTAG or something). This is a fun way where I definitively will learn a lot because I have no experience in this field. I dont know the tools, their names, nor the caveats.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
codingdave



No comments:

Post a Comment