Tuesday 26 July 2016

Why shouldn't you buy a Galaxy S6



First, I'll tell you a story. So, a year ago my old Sony Xperia U broke, it refused to boot and had a broken screen. My dad told me and my brother to get in the car because we're going to get us new phones. When we arrived to the nearest T-Mobile center me and my brother went on to search for a new phone and my brother liked the Z3 and I thought that the S6 was better. So, I decided that I want sn S6 so my brother also wanted one. We both got an S6 and went out of the store. Fast forward to about 2 or 3 months ago. When I got home from school, I picked up my phone to go read some news on AA. I tried to fire it up, but it wouldn't. I let it charge for 10 mins and when I took it out of the charger it was boiling hot. I left it to cool down. When I again tried to boot it up, it showed the Galaxy S6 logo and then a loud beep and then a screen off and nothing. Later that week me and my mom took it to the repair shop. The diagnosed the problem after 5 mins and said that there's a problem with my motherboard and that it only occurs with Samsung devices. They also said that there are two fixes, the first one would be to let it be on charge for a day or two and the second one would be to replace the motherboard. I took my phone home and let it charge for about a day. When I took it of the charger it was working! Fast forward to about a week ago. Again, there was a problem with my phone. It was suffering from extreme lag and unresponsivnes. We again took it to the repair shop and the told us that my phone has a big software problem and that they should be able to fix it. I gave them my phone and they said that we should return after an hour. So we did, and my phone was working.

Now, I'll list a few reasons why shouldn't you buy a Galaxy S6 or any other Samsung phone:

1. Touchwiz UI

There are 2 groups regarding Touchwiz; Ones who like it and ones who don't. I, personally, would rather be in the 2nd group. The first group will always say how Touchwiz is beutiful and cool, has vibrant and live colors, icons are great and all that stuff. The other group says Touchwiz is cartoonish, unpolished, not clean and bloated. While Touchwiz may look good, it certainly isn't as good as some other UIs. For an example, take Sony, their UI may be a little too robust, but it's nice to keep it as stock as possible.

2. Bloatware

Samsung's used to put a heck of a lot apps on their deivces, but they really shouldn't, because many people don't use these apps and whle they may be useful they are still bloatware apps. If you count all the packages that Galaxy S6 or S7 has, you'll get a number that's around 300-320, if you take a Nexus 6P, you'll see that it only has around 90-110 packages.

3. Huge battery drain

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in the new MM update, Doze doesn't work for many people. Try and see, it won't amaze you. And, I had to do some crazy stuff to get it to work, trust me, it's not that easy.

4. Lack of features

While Samsung may put all those cool and new features in their apps, they don't put any cool system features, like double-tap to wake or sleep or anything like that and that really annoys me and that's just not cool.

5. Incompatibility

This one is the most horrible one. I hate Exynos proccessors, they all use closed-source drivers, so no cool custom AOSP stuff is coming soon to the Exynos phones.
ROM developers that want to use the AOSP or CyanogenOS base, they have to code the drivers themselves. It's not a huge problem with Qualcomm proccessors, because they I think provide the drivers.



No comments:

Post a Comment