Monday 4 July 2016

G3 microSD card frustrations



My G3 (AT&T D850) is almost exactly 2 years old...for the last 3-4 months, it has been very flaky, rebooting spontaneously, sometimes 4-5 times in a row, sometimes only once, and doing it for weeks, and then suddenly not doing it at all for weeks. I ran the phone for a week with the SIM card out, and it did not reboot at all, so, thinking that I had a bad SIM, AT&T replaced it. It rebooted once after starting up with the new SIM, went a couple of days without rebooting, then went back to its flaky reboot cycles. So...probably not a bad SIM.

A week ago , the microSD card seemed to have completely failed (SanDisk Extreme 64GB UHS-I/U3). Phone indicated it had no microSD card. I took the card out, put it in my PC, and it read all the data fine. I made a complete backup of the card, reformatted the card, copied all the data back, put it back in the phone...it worked for about an hour. Tried the formatting as NTFS, so that the phone would force reformat the card, that didn't work. Decided that maybe the card was intermittently bad, bought a Samsung 128GB EVO Select Micro SDXC card. Same results...works for a while, sometimes cycles through a "Removed Card", "Inserted Card" cycle every second or so. Using the phone with no card, it mostly works ok, though it does still reboot occasionally. Went backwards to a Lexar 32GB card...all cards formatted NTFS, phone reformats, etc etc. No change in behavior. Looks like maybe the phone flakiness is a bad microSD card/bad microSD card reader?

I'm at a loss as to what to do next....I have to assume the phone is failing? I've searched here and generally on the web, and can find no posts that indicate a similar problem...I can upgrade soon, but not real excited about any of the available phones these days, and I'm pretty adamant about having a microSD slot and a removable battery, which seriously limits my options. Am I screwed, and I need another phone? Anyone experience anything like this before? I rooted the phone the day I bought it two years ago, so now I'm going to try to reinstall the original image and then upgrade to the Lollipop version of the firmware, but I have a bad feeling that I'm just wasting my time...

Any thoughts on this?

TriangleRocks



No comments:

Post a Comment