Sunday 31 July 2016

Tutorial - Rooting Mi 5 without wiping data [Needs to be validated+confirmed]

Dear All,

WARNING: I'm no developer, just a regular user. SO PLEASE ONLY TRY THE BELOW PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK AS IT IS NOT VALIDATED NOR CONFIRMED TO BE THE CORRECT PROCEDURE. I'm not responsible if you end up with a device that doesn't work the way it is originally meant to.

Yesterday I decided to root my Mi 5 running Global Dev ROM (Version: 6.5.30 (MIUI7)).
Read a few threads.
Mainly (link A): http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=260976
Then I posted a Q&A thread: http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod ... 0&page=1#pid5799160

I noticed that according to link A, we needed to wipe data to root successfully.

Here's what I did:

1. Unlock BL via Xiaomi Official Method.
2. Temporarily flash TWRP (link mentioned in link A) [fastboot boot *recoveryname*.img].
3. Selecetd English as the language.
4. Left the System partition unmodified when promted (Keep Read Only).
5. Mounted System + Cache.
6. Enabled ADB sideload.
7. SIdeloaded the superSU file (link mentioned in link A).
8. Rebooted device.
9. SuperSU was installed.
10. To check this I tried out SElinuxmodechanger + V4A (use apps with Root access at your own risk and evaluation of safe / unsafe nature of the app/apps).




Conclusion:
I was able to root my Mi 5 (Global Dev Rom) without permanent flashing of TWRP + without modification to system partition (Keep Read Only)) + without wiping data in TWRP before installing SuperSU.


Currently, I have a root + system modified Mi 5, on re-locking BL my phone wouldn't boot. Somehow after multiple attempts I managed to put the phone into fastboot mode and unlock the BL again. Now my phone is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment