Tuesday 2 August 2016

Commonly asked Mi Max questions with answers



Hey guys, just switched to this phone, and since it's so new to the market, very few resources are available to explain some common problems. I'll try and answer some of those.

How do you unlock the bootloader on the Mi Max?

- apply for bootloader unlock permission on http://en.miui.com/unlock/, wait for a couple of days, download the app. Once you get the permission, then it gets a bit tricky. To unlock the bootloader you need the Chinese Developer ROM . This isn't mentioned ANYWHERE along the official site. It's frustrating. Follow the steps in this guide - http://en.miui.com/thread-307139-1-1.html, but use the fastboot ROM of Chinese Developer ROM instead of the global stable ROM. Once you have Chinese Developer ROM running, make sure you turn on Find My Phone via Mi App. This is important otherwise you will get 'Could not verify' message. Once the find my phone thing is running, it's easy to unlock the bootloader. Just follow the official guide via the app.

How do I root Mi Max?

Once the phone has been unlocked, use fastboot to flash TWRP. How? See here - http://en.miui.com/thread-293031-1-1.html. Once you have TWRP running, download and flash SuperSU, and you're all good.

My Mi Remote app will only show Chinese remotes and not my country's local remotes. Why?

Switch over the locale to your local country in settings > additional settings, and restart the app. All done.

Which screen protector is best for my Mi Max?

Actually, buyer beware - NONE of the tempered glasses work well on the Mi Max. They don't cover the whole screen. The Mi Max has a curved 2.5D screen, so the right and left edges don't get covered by the tempered glass. Looks pretty ugly to be honest. I've ordered a Chinese TPU screen guard from aliexpress that claims to cover the whole screen. I'll update this guide when I get it.

Does the Mi Max have double tap to wake?

Yes it does! But it is turned off by default. Go to settings>display to turn it on.


What other hardware problems are there with the Mi Max?

The charger port is made from aluminum. It is very soft, so just by using it a couple of times, you'll end up getting ridges along the bottom side, where the micro USB cable goes. It's a problem with all recent Xiaomi phones, and you can't do anything about it. See this pic for details - http://i.imgur.com/z7ckOuB.jpg. I've tried to highlight the 2 tracks made by the micro USB cable along the charger port.
Also, the body is easily scratched at the chamfered aluminum edges, so make sure you handle it with care. The metal is just too soft. It is makes the Mi Max very slippery.


How is the speaker on the Mi Max?

Coming from a Oneplus One, the single bottom firing speaker (yes, single. The other is a dummy) was a huge disappointment. It barely gets the job done, and it's one area where I personally feel Xiaomi shouldn't have cut corners.


How is the Snapdragon 650 processor on the Mi Max? Does it lag or stutter?

Let me put all fears to rest - this is the smoothest phone I've ever used, period. I've used a lot of them, but this phone is by far the smoothest. No lags, stutters, out of memory problems, app redraws, nothing. Everything just works.

How long does it take to charge the Mi Max?

From zero to 100%, with a quick charge charger, it'll take around 2 hours. On the standard charger, around 3 hours. But let me tell you - you'll end up forgetting your charger. The phone is a true beast in the battery department. I easily get 2.5 days worth of battery with around 9 hrs screen on time with a single charge. It's unbelievable.


I'll keep updating this with time. Let me know if anyone has any questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment