Thursday 30 June 2016

How's everyones screen color/brightness uniformity ?



I had ordered OP3 on the day of launch and got it the next day. After using the phone for about 5 days, I noticed that the top part of the phone had a bank pink tint which was clearly noticeable on White and Grey backgrounds at any brightness. I sent the phone back for replacement and got a new one few days back. The phone looked almost perfect and have been using it for around a week now. Yesterday I bumped on another thread in a forum when I saw a peculiar screen uniformity issue in only one particular shade of Grey.

Steps to reproduce the issue
1) Open the below link in Chrome in a dark room.
http://www.nullabletype.co.uk/static/styles/blah2.html
2) Reduce the brightness to just above the minimum brightness (5-10%) with adaptive brightness turned off.
3) Go to Display settings --- Turn on Night mode --- Increase the slider below to the maximum.
4) Scroll to the 3rd image (the one after Black)
5) Mine has uneven brightness. Some part of the screen is darker than others.
6) Increase the brightness to say 25-30%. Everything looks uniform.
7) Scroll to other images (other shades of grey) and no screen uniformity issues at any brightness.

Now, I am not sure if I should send this back again. I don't use such brightness levels even in night and I don't see any screen uniformity issues in any other brightness levels or shades. I also searched in internet and found similar issues being reported in Nexus 6P, S6, S7, etc in Reddit, xda, etc. There are people who have RMA'd their devices 5-6 times without much luck. From what I have understood till now, AMOLED's are not really perfect in displaying Grey at extremely low brightness. Or may be, its due to the current software targeting the NTSC Gamut ? Anandtech recently said that sRGB update (coming in 3.1.4) has made considerable improvements in Greyscale accuracy.
Before I even think of sending the phone for 2nd replacement, I would like to know how's the screen uniformity with others here.



No comments:

Post a Comment